One Day. How To Move To London

One year ago to the day I stepped on a plane at Brisbane airport, passport in hand and adventure in mind. Life starts now. I remember thinking to myself. How right I was…

Ice-skating in London

My heart lies in Paris

Kew Gardens

The view of Barcelona

Really, it’s a funny feeling knowing you’re leaving behind everything familiar in search of new adventure. I was moving to a city where a grand total of 5 people knew my name. The feeling of anonymity as one of 8 million was quite an unusual one considering I came from a city with a population of 600,000 that, at times, felt as though there was only one degree of separation.

Upon my arrival in London I felt so calm, which is highly unusual for me. With jittery nerves at the best of times and full blown terror at the worst, I’ve never dealt very well with change, yet when I reached London I guess you could say I felt serenely excited. I took it as a sign I was making the right move.

Albert Bridge, Chelsea

Needless to say, the first few weeks were a blur of exploration and job hunting. Lots of job hunting. It seemed surreal that this city that I barely knew was now my home.

Where do you live? I live in London.

Whilst it wasn’t all a walk in the park, I do feel as though I fell into the swing of things as a Londoner very quickly. British life seems to suit me (aside from the terrible, terrible weather).

The past twelve months have been nothing short of brilliant. I’ve got a job I love, I’ve made beautiful friends, I’ve done ample travel and every day I feel an infectious buzz exuding from the city. London truly is the gateway to the world. The highlight of the year for me has undoubtedly been my many travels.

The Colosseum Rome

Mount Pilatus, Switzerland

What started out as a desire has turned into an addiction. You could almost say I get a high from the feeling of arriving in a foreign city where I know nothing and no one, where my sole intent is to explore. It’s really liberating, not to mention the fact that it has opened my eyes to the world, and with each destination I see things in a new perspective. To be honest I don’t know how I could ever go back to living in Australia where I wouldn’t have the opportunity to pop to Spain or France for the weekend. It just wouldn’t seem right…

Keukenhof Gardens, Amsterdam

This is still the best pizza of my life to date from Milano...

Admittedly, I always used to roll my eyes whenever people would quote proverbs at me; “seize the day” or “aim high”. I thought I know, I know I don’t have to be told. But in truth, I think you should embrace the encouragement. Making a big leap of faith in your life like moving countries, changing jobs or planning travels takes a lot of courage. Lucky for me it has paid off in spades. So now it’s my turn to quote something to you:


Who knows where I’ll be in another year, all I know is I’m happy, healthy and loving London life. The rest is still unwritten…

Photos by Krissie.

Share your comments with me on InstagramFacebook or Twitter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Day. Bloggers Hub Autumn Event

Suitcase. Party In The USA - Vegas

Suitcase. Neuschwanstein, Germany - Travel Guide